QLS election media protocol
QLS has election media protocols in place to maintain a level playing field for all candidates.
These protocols are in place during the election period from Monday 4 September 2017 until 4pm AEST Monday 16 October 2017 inclusive. During the election period, candidates will not be able to use QLS communication channels to personally campaign for the election. QLS communication channels include, but are not limited to:
- QLS ECL Newsletters;
- QLS Lawtalk/Medium;
- QLS Update;
- QLS Twitter;
- QLS Facebook;
- QLS LinkedIn;
- QLS Google Plus; and
- A candidate or the candidate’s firm providing sponsorship at QLS events during the election period.
Candidate campaigning during the election period
Candidates can start campaigning as soon as they receive confirmation from QLS that their application for candidacy is accepted. Candidates are then welcome to begin campaigning until the close of voting at 4pm AEST Monday 16 October 2017.
Candidates are invited to use their own personal contacts to engage members to vote for them, using a variety of personal marketing channels. Possible channels could include:
- Utilising your personal social media accounts;
- Sharing QLS social media posts;
- Creating a YouTube link;
- Creating a Facebook page;
- Using your personal twitter account with a personalised hashtag or use #QLSElection2017
- Sending emails from your personal email account to personal contacts in the profession, and asking that they be sent on to the recipients’ personal contacts in the profession.
QLS candidate communication
Members are advised that the Society will take the following steps to communicate to the candidates standing for election:
- During the nomination period – 4 September to 4pm AEST 19 September 2017:
- the Society will assess each candidate’s nomination;
- advise the candidate whether their application for candidacy has been accepted; and
- within two business days of receipt of an accepted nomination, the Society will publish the names of eligible candidates in order of nomination receipt on the QLS website.
- The publication period – 20 September 2017 to 4pm AEST 16 October 2017:
- from 9am Wednesday 20 September 2017 the Society will publish the names, biographies and photos submitted by eligible candidates in the order drawn by the returning officer in accordance with r35(2) of the Rules on the QLS website.
- QLS election communications will invite members to view these profiles.
Please note that QLS cannot share member contact details with Council candidates due to the requirements of the Information Privacy Act 2009 and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
Queries about the QLS election media protocol should be directed to the returning officer.