Why join us?
Established in 1928, the Queensland Law Society is the peak professional body for the State's legal practitioners. We provide a dynamic hub for Queensland's legal community and seek to engage actively with our members and the public to provide leadership, practical solutions and reliable support.
We represent and promote more than 10,000 legal professionals, increase community understanding of the law, help protect the rights of individuals and advise the community about the many benefits solicitors can provide.
We currently employ over 100 people working across a diverse range of areas including:
- Member services & products
- Marketing & engagement
- Corporate services
- Professional standards
- Human resources
Our people are pivotal in making QLS the leading professional membership association. Our relationships with each other, with our members and with the wider community are guided by our values - respect, integrity and service. These values underpin the way we do business, helping us to reach our strategic goals.
Benefits of working at QLS
- Opportunity to advance your career.
- Opportunity to work in a strong learning and development culture.
- Full access to the range of benefits available to our members.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Provider LawCare.
- Receive up to 8 weeks paid parental leave, in addition to the Government's Paid Parental Leave Scheme.
- Salary sacrifice, ie take certain benefits such as additional voluntary superannuation contributions as 'pre-tax'.
- Team members may be able to receive paid study and examination leave.
- Active Social Club – lots of events and activities to become involved in.
Finance Support (Accounts Receivable)
Hands-on role for a service-oriented, proactive and experienced accounts receivable officer.
Monday 15 September 2014
|Policy Solicitor (full-time)
Make a career move into policy and advocacy for the legal profession in Queensland. Work directly with the Society’s policy committees on current law reform issues for the Queensland legal profession and the community.
Thursday 18 September 2014
Sponsorship Executive (fixed term contract)
Showcase your expertise and help drive corporate sponsorship opportunities for a leading professional membership association.
Friday 26 September 2014
Finance Support (Accounts Receivable)
As our Finance Support (Accounts Receivable), you will be responsible for providing an efficient and effective internal service through the operation of accounts receivable for QLS and our subsidiary company Lexon Insurance. You’ll be responsible for:
- preparation, receipting, distribution and reconciliation of funds received daily
- maintaining accounting records to ensure all accounts receivable records are accurate and up-to-date
- debtor management, including verification and distribution of daily debtor statements
- raising and processing of invoices
- sorting, recording and distributing of incoming team mail and credit management
- responding to telephone and email enquiries
- providing support to our accounts payable officer and the Finance team as required.
We are looking for a service-oriented, proactive and positive team player with:
- qualifications in accounting, bookkeeping or a related discipline (desirable)
- experience in a similar accounts receivable role, with a sound knowledge of the practices and principles of processing and reconciling account receivables
- a natural strength towards service excellence
- strong organisational skills, along with the capacity to work independently and to prioritise and complete tasks within competing timeframes
- demonstrated competence in interpersonal communication including dealing with customers
- intermediate skills in the use of modern office technology including records management systems (ideally iMIS) and the Microsoft Office Suite 2010
- a positive attitude and enjoy working as part of a team.
This is a full-time parental leave cover role, commencing by late September/early October 2014 and concluding in approximately late October 2015. Comprehensive training, coaching and mentoring will be provided in addition to ongoing support from the team.
Position description: Finance Support (Accounts Receivable)
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter outlining your experience and addressing the key selection criteria for the role to email@example.com. Please note that applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
Policy Solicitor (full-time)
As one of our Policy Solicitors, you will be joining a dedicated team of like-minded colleagues to identify, research, advocate and educate on current law reform issues of relevance to the Queensland legal profession and the community.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Monitoring the state, national and global environment to identify issues likely to have an impact on the law in Queensland or on the profession.
- Reviewing discussion papers and legal documents with a view to ascertaining relevance for the consideration of a policy committee.
- Researching complex legal matters to provide background at policy committee meetings.
- Managing relationships with key stakeholders, including policy committee chairs and contacts within government and industry.
- Organising and developing agendas for policy committee meetings.
- Attending and preparing minutes for policy committee meetings.
- Following up on policy committee action items and completing tasks as assigned by the Manager.
- Drafting complex submissions to Government and other entities for the policy committee.
- Preparing Council Submissions and policy positions on behalf of policy committees.
- Developing educational and guidance materials for the profession and disseminating information within the Society on law reform issues to ensure members are aware of the associated impacts.
- Attending consultative events with Government entities to ensure the Society (and members) have representation.
Key skills required:
- A law degree (essential).
- At least three to five years’ post admission experience in litigation in a practice team of a mid-tier or large firm or a significant independent practice.
- Understanding of, and experience in, areas of commercial practice (such as banking and finance, property, corporate, succession law, personal injuries, family law, energy and resources, consumer and competition law or ICT/intellectual property law).
- Strong critical and strategic legal analysis and research skills with demonstrated ability to produce practical solutions to complex legal reform issues.
- Sound knowledge of the Queensland political process and the development of legal policy.
- High level oral and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to negotiate, mediate, influence and manage internal and external stakeholders to achieve optimal professional outcomes.
- High level written communication skills with an ability to make logical legal arguments and determine the appropriate style of communication depending on the audience and objective.
- High level organisation and time management skills with demonstrated ability to work to deadlines.
This is a full-time role. Comprehensive training, coaching and mentoring will be provided in addition to ongoing support from the team.
Position description: Policy Solicitor (full-time)
For a great opportunity to lead the legal profession, please submit your CV and a cover letter demonstrating your ability to be effective in this role via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Jo Mugglestone, General Manager, Human Resources on 07 3842 5956.
As the Sponsorship Executive, you will be part of our dynamic Marketing and Engagement team who play an integral role in effective stakeholder engagement, enhancing QLS’s reputation through brand management and marketing our services and products.
Reporting to the Sponsorship Manager, you will be responsible for generating revenue through sponsorship from within an existing client base and proactively sourcing new business opportunities.
You will provide support to the Sponsorship Manager on both Queensland Law Society events and conferences (incoming sponsorship) and sponsored events and initiatives (outgoing sponsorships).
You will be responsible for:
- Actively pursuing revenue generation for the Queensland Law Society through the identification of new sponsors and expanding upon traditional markets in sourcing and securing sponsorship opportunities.
- Achieving sponsorship revenue targets as per the agreed plan.
- Preparing and presenting sponsorship proposals and overseeing the implementation and delivery of sponsorship activities when required.
- Ensuring timely and accurate processing of relevant paperwork is provided for invoicing.
- Facilitating sponsorship enquiries and ensuring the timely follow up and management of all client communication.
- Providing sponsorship integration including preparing trade exhibitor kits, database management and reporting, post sponsor reports, post event surveys etc.
- Co-ordinating the organisation of outbound sponsorship initiatives.
- Providing assistance in the preparation of Queensland Law Society’s Business Supporter Scheme contracts and invoicing.
Key skills required:
- A minimum of three to four years’ experience in a similar role.
- Demonstrated experience in generating sponsorship revenue through establishing business relationships via direct contact with clients.
- Experience in events management.
- Experience in customer relationship management and databases.
- High level of oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team.
- Ability to meet and exceed budgets and KPIs.
This is a 12 month fixed term contract opportunity. Comprehensive training, coaching and mentoring will be provided in addition to ongoing support from the team.
Position description: Sponsorship Executive (fixed term contract)
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter outlining your experience and addressing the key selection criteria for the role to email@example.com . Please note that applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered. Don't hesitate to contact Jo Mugglestone, General Manager, Human Resources on 07 3842 5956 for further information on this opportunity.
For more information about vacancies, please contact Amy Ashton, Human Resources Consultant on 07 3842 5819.