How to become a member
1. Check that you meet the membership criteria
- Full membership - you hold a current Practising Certificate to practise as a solicitor in Queensland
- Associate membership - you work in the legal profession as a barrister, serving an articled clerkship, as legal support staff, or you’re a university professor
- Student membership - you’re a university student studying law.
2. Complete the relevant application form
3. Attach payment and submit your application
Submit completed form to:
Queensland Law Society
GPO Box 1785, Brisbane Qld 4001
Cash payment is available if you pay in person at Law Society House. Cheques should be made payable to Queensland Law Society Inc.
You will be sent a confirmation email within 7-10 working days welcoming you as a new member.
4. Become familiar with your obligations
All members should become familiar with the Legal Profession Act, Legal Profession Regulation, Legal Profession (Society) Rules, Queensland Law Society Administration Rule and the rulings of Council. You should also ensure you always hold a current Practising Certificate (full members), notify Queensland Law Society in writing of any change of address or employment, and have your voice heard by participating in Queensland Law Society council elections (full members).
Visit the professional responsibility page for more information about professional conduct requirements.
Current full and associate members can renew their memberships in May every year.