9. Access to fair compensation schemes in Queensland
Queensland Law Society supports access to fully-funded, accessible and fair compensation schemes.
Queensland Law Society calls for a commitment:
- That impairment thresholds for access to common law damages will not be introduced
- That lump sum payments for minor injuries will not be replaced with “guaranteed defined benefits”
- To a consultation process on the statutory reform required to recognise the legal status of unincorporated associations. This reform would respond to the need to identify a proper defendant in historic child sexual abuse claims and clarify liabilities of officeholders
- To issue a discussion paper considering the extent to which charitable trust assets should be available to meet the proper liabilities of an associated charity, including responding to damages awards to survivors of child sexual abuse.
Queensland State Election - 2017 Call to Parties Statement
Download the 2017 Call to Parties Statement