7. Family and domestic violence matters
Queensland Law Society recognises the devastating impact that family and domestic violence has on our community. We support and are committed to the continuing implementation of recommendations made in the Not Now, Not Ever report.
Queensland Law Society calls for a commitment:
- To the continued roll out of specialist domestic violence courts throughout Queensland
- To ongoing and continued funding for specialist domestic violence duty lawyers across Queensland
- To ongoing professional development for magistrates on domestic and family violence and its impact on the victims of violence and abuse, with specific reference to First Nations’ peoples cultural needs
- To improving pathways between the Magistrates Court, the Childrens Court, the Family Court and the Federal Circuit Court to ensure the justice response is better-coordinated.
Queensland State Election - 2017 Call to Parties Statement
Download the 2017 Call to Parties Statement