Inquiry into nationhood, national identity and democracy
4 September 2019
Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee has been referred the above inquiry, due to report by May 2020. The Inquiry will make particular reference to:
- the changing notions of nationhood, citizenship and modern notions of the nation state in the twenty first century;
- rights and obligations of citizenship, including naturalisation and revocation, and the responsibility of the state to its citizens in both national and international law;
- social cohesion and cultural identity in the nation state;
- the role that globalisation and economic interdependence and economic development plays in forming or disrupting traditional notions of national identity;
- contemporary notions of cultural identity, multiculturalism and regionalism;
- the extent to which nation states balance domestic imperatives and sovereignty and international obligations;
- comparison between Australian public debate and policy and international trends; and
- any other related matters.
The Discussion paper is available here.
Please provide comments by 20 September.