You’re invited to provide feedback – legal policy reform
13 February 2019
Practitioners are invited to provide feedback as QLS policy committees prepare the following submissions.
Industrial manslaughter and other legislative amendments for resources safety and health
The Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy has requested stakeholder feedback to determine whether provisions in the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 should be adopted for Queensland’s resources safety legislation. Provisions relate to:
- industrial manslaughter
- dispute resolution
- prohibitions on discriminatory, coercive and misleading conduct
- entry permit holders.
Key issues raised in the discussion paper relate to the adequacy of:
- penalties under the Resources Safety Acts
- dispute resolution processes under the Coal Mining Safety and Health Act 1999 (CMSHA) and Mining and Quarrying Safety and Health Act 1999 (MQSHA)
- the reprisal provisions in the Resources Safety Acts
- union representation of workers under the current frameworks in the CMSHA and MQSHA
- proposals for inclusion of worker representation provisions in the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004 and Explosives Act 1999.
Please provide your feedback before COB Thursday 14 February 2019.