Apply for membership
1. Check that you meet the membership criteria
- Full membership - you hold a current Practising Certificate to practise as a solicitor in Queensland
- Associate membership - you work in the legal profession as a barrister, serving an articled clerkship, as legal support staff, or you’re a university professor
- Student membership - you’re a university student studying law.
2. Complete the relevant application form
3. Attach payment and submit your application
Submit completed form to:
Queensland Law Society
GPO Box 1785, Brisbane Qld 4001
Should you need to make payments in person at Law Society House, our preferred payment methods are EFTPOS and credit card. Cash payments will not be accepted after 30 April 2018.
Please note: allow 7 - 10 working days for applications to be processed.
4. Become familiar with your obligations
All members should become familiar with the Legal Profession Act, Legal Profession Regulation, Legal Profession (Society) Rules, Queensland Law Society Administration Rule and the rulings of Council. You should also ensure you always hold a current Practising Certificate (full members), notify Queensland Law Society in writing of any change of address or employment, and have your voice heard by participating in Queensland Law Society council elections (full members).
Visit the professional responsibility page for more information about professional conduct requirements.
Current full and associate members can renew their memberships in May every year.
New associate members, as from the 21 September 2020, will renew on the anniversary of their joining the Queensland Law Society.