The award recognises a regional practitioner (outside of South-East Queensland) who exhibits an outstanding commitment to their local profession and community. Their significant contribution personally and professionally has a positive impact on their community, instilling confidence and enhancing the reputation of the profession in their region. An individual whose professional excellence and fidelity inspires others in their region.
Contribution and impact (marked out of 10)
Nominee demonstrates significant contribution to their region personally and professionally. This can encompass a range of activities or initiatives, for example (but not limited to):
- educating and informing their community about their rights and responsibilities under the law
- offering pro-bono services or improving access to justice for their community
- commitment to reconciliation within their community or workplace culture and diversity
- supporting organisations that contribute to their community's welfare.
Nominee can demonstrate the impacts and outcomes of their significant personal and professional contributions to their region.
Implementation of reform of a Queensland or national legal policy (marked out of 10)
Nominee has implemented or contributed to a reform of a Queensland or national policy or legislation that delivers significant benefit to their region.
Professional excellence (marked out of 10)
Nominee demonstrates professional excellence in their day-to-day legal practice, instilling confidence within their local profession and community.
Enhanced the perception of the legal profession. (marked out of 10)
The nominee shows outstanding leadership and influence. So much so that their actions have inspired others and enhanced the perception of the legal profession within their community.
- Practitioner must be based outside of the Brisbane City Council Local Government Area (LGA).
- A map outlining the Brisbane City Council LGA can be found here.
- Nominee must be nominated (no self-nominations) and:
- be an individual (organisations can nominate an individual)
- hold a current practising certificate issued by QLS
- be a full member of QLS
- be Queensland-based.
- Nominees must be of good character. Nominations are reviewed by Queensland Law Society's regulation division and the QLS Ethics and Practice Centre. The due diligence will include (but is not limited to) legal review of the nominee's disciplinary history.
- The nominee has not previously won this award.
- Judging panel members.
- Queensland Law Society Council members or employees are not eligible for nomination.
- Teams or firms are not eligible. This award is open to individuals only.