What are the eligibility criteria?
To apply for the Specialist Accreditation Program in Queensland you must satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Hold a current practising certificate in Australia or be engaged in legal practice as a Government Legal Officer engaged in government work.
- Have been engaged in legal practice for five years on a full-time basis or equivalent.
- Be a full member of Queensland Law Society.
- For the three years immediately prior to application, demonstrate Substantial Involvement in the area of law for which accreditation is sought.
For more information about eligibility, please see the Specialist Accreditation Scheme Handbook available to download from below.
What if I do not meet these criteria?
If you do not fully meet the criteria for eligibility regarding level of involvement in the area of practice, you may request that the Specialist Accreditation Board exercise its discretion to accept your application pursuant to the terms under clause 2.1 of the Handbook.
For further enquiries (including making a discretionary application) please contact the Specialist Accreditation team at email@example.com.
How to apply?
Before you complete your application:
Review the 2022 Specialist Accreditation Scheme Handbook noting the eligibility criteria.
Review the relevant Assessment Criteria for your area of accreditation where available.
- 2022 Business Law Assessment Criteria (PDF)
- 2022 Criminal Law Assessment Criteria (PDF)
- 2022 Personal Injuries Law Assessment Criteria (PDF)
To enrol in a Queensland Law Society Specialist Accreditation program, you must:
- Download below and complete a Specialist Accreditation Application Form
- Provide three (3) completed Referee Report forms (or an indication that your referees will submit these reference forms directly to QLS) - download below, and
- Pay the relevant fees.
All applications will be considered by the Specialist Accreditation Board, and each applicant will be subsequently informed by the Specialist Accreditation Team whether they have been accepted as a candidate into the requested accreditation program.