Queensland Law Society (QLS) believes in good law, good lawyers for the public good. Members belong to a passionate, collegiate community that makes a difference to the legal profession.
Queensland Law Society membership provides members with access to:
- exclusive member-only content, including industry updates, newsletters and feature articles published on the QLS Proctor website
- discounted professional development
- insurance and financial protection
- free personal and professional counselling, and wellbeing resources
- free practice support to help their practice efficiently and profitably
- referral lists and other business tools to help build their practice
- ethical guidance and support
- committees and working groups that help shape the legal profession
- discounted travel, wine, electronics and gifts through the Member rewards program.
First to know
We ensure our members are the first to know about changes in the law.
Our members are the first to know about changes in the law. Knowing first helps you to identify opportunities, manage risks and provide better advice for your clients.
We communicate with you through channels such as QLS Proctor, QLS Update, and our social media channels.
Being a lawyer can present unique challenges and pressures. QLS understands these profound challenges.
Our services help you both personally and professionally to help you to find balance, manage workplace challenges and lead a healthy life.
- Up to 6 hours of free counselling with LawCare
- Free resilience and wellbeing resources
Whether you are an early career lawyer who is wanting skills to use immediately or a leader who is ready to take the leap into a business management role.
We offer programs that are specifically designed to suit your career-stage circumstances.
- Up to 10 free CPD points each year and member rates on all events and resources
- Easily accessed in a variety of formats—face-to-face in your local area, online or blended
- High quality presenters and content—4.5/5 start past delegate rating
QLS offers ethical guidance, practice support and information for the profession and the public. Whatever the issue, we’re here to help our members navigate their way to a solution.
- Direct support- guidance and assistance to members in a number of areas either by phone, email, or if appropriate face-to-face.
- Resources - relevant to both practice management and specific areas of law
- Trust Account Consultancy
- Free research services at the Supreme Court Library Queensland
The Society offers plenty of opportunities to network and connect within the industry throughout the year. These opportunities help members to socialise, stay anchored to the industry, build their practice and learn from others.
Vote or nominate in QLS elections and help steer our future course. Alternatively, showcase your expertise and passion for the profession to your peers and the community.
- Connect at membership and networking events
- Vote in QLS elections
- Present at a QLS education event
- Join a membership committee
A voice for all
With an ever-changing political, social and legal landscape, we offer a professional voice when matters of legal policy and reform arise. We also champion diversity and reconciliation.
Some of the ways we work for good law and the public good are through:
- Twenty four policy committees
- Working groups
- Delayed judgements enquiry service
- Queensland Law Society submissions on draft legislation (incorporating the views of practitioners across Queensland)
- Our advocacy campaigns and 'Call to Parties' during election cycles
- Law Council of Australia (LCA) representation
Members and their practices are protected through professional insurances.
The profession in general is protected by Queensland Law Society regulation through the issuing of practising certificates.
Through setting standards and regulating the legal profession in Queensland, Queensland Law Society protects not only the profession but also the profession’s reputation.
QLS recognises hard work, sacrifice and commitment—both in our members and in the community through:
- a robust Member Rewards program
- pin ceremony and honorary membership for those celebrating 25 and 50 years as a Queensland Law Society (QLS) member
- honorary membership
- a program of annual awards that are handed out at various membership events throughout the year
- the professional use of the QLS Member Logo