Buying or selling a home

Behind the great Australian dream is a great big pile of paperwork! Let a lawyer tick the boxes so you can focus on the next big move.

What kind of lawyer?

For most legal issues that arise when buying or selling a home, you will need a lawyer who works in conveyancing—a conveyancing lawyer.

Top tip: If you have a complex matter, you may need a property law accredited specialist. Just look for the symbol next to their name.

Find your lawyer now.

When to seek conveyancing advice

There is a lot of legal paperwork that needs to be completed whenever a home is sold, and you can’t do it by yourself.

If you are looking to buy or sell a home, you will need a conveyancing lawyer to handle the legal side of things (including the transfer of title, transfer/stamp duty, advising on the contract of sale, etc).

Here are some of the complex issues that can pop up when making one of life’s biggest moves.

Buying at auction

Do you know the differences between buying a property at auction and at private treaty? What about the contract of sale? The deposit? The obligations placed on you the moment you raise your bidding paddle?

Speak to a conveyancing lawyer today to find out how to prepare for buying a home at auction, and how to avoid buyer’s remorse.

Contract of sale: Special conditions

Although it’s easy to fall in love with a house, it’s not so easy to realise you’ve sunk several hundreds of thousands into a deal that ends up being a lemon.

Every residential contract of sale is made up of (pages and pages of) standard conditions, but there will most likely be some special conditions included somewhere in all those pages.

Get advice before you sign anything.

Don’t forget the tax

With the introduction of the foreign resident capital gains withholding tax, it’s never been so important to seek legal and taxation advice about a property transaction.

Make sure you aren’t going to be left holding the (tax) bill. Speak to a conveyancing lawyer today.


E-conveyancing is a streamlined, modern way to digitally handle your property sale or purchase in Queensland. Look for conveyancing lawyers who are registered with e-conveyancing providers.