1. Check that you meet the membership criteria
- Full membership - you hold a current Practising Certificate to practise as a solicitor in Queensland
- Associate membership - you work in the legal profession as a barrister, serving an articled clerkship, as legal support staff, or you’re a university professor
- Student membership - you're a university student studying law.
2. Complete the relevant application form
- Application for membership
- Application for associate membership
- Application for student membership
- Membership fees
3. Attach payment and submit your application
Submit completed form to:
Records and Member Services
Queensland Law Society
GPO Box 1785, Brisbane QLD 4001
Should you need to make payments in person at Law Society House, you must pay by EFTPOS or credit card. Please note: allow 7–10 working days for applications to be processed.
4. Become familiar with your obligations
All members should become familiar with the Legal Profession Act 2007, Legal Profession Regulation 2017, Legal Profession (Society) Rules, Queensland Law Society Administration Rule and the rulings of Council. You should also ensure you always hold a current Practising Certificate (full members), notify Queensland Law Society in writing of any change of address or employment, and have your voice heard by participating in Queensland Law Society council elections.
Current full and associate members can renew their memberships in May every year. The online renewal period for 2021–22 practising certificates and QLS membership has closed. You will be contacted by email when the renewal period opens again. Make sure to check and update your contact details regularly so that you receive our regulatory and renewal information.
New associate members, as from the 21 September 2020, will renew on the anniversary of their joining the Queensland Law Society.